We went away for a week over Christmas in 2008 and returned to find our dining room flooded. Ugh. Perhaps you remember seeing this from my blog long ago?
The wood ceiling was falling down, the dining table and chairs were ruined, I sucked 5 gallons of water out of the carpet.....for the next six months we worked repairing, replacing, refinishing. It's all beautiful now, but one thing never got fixed.
It was one of two items on the table while we were gone (forgot to get packed at the last minute). I had just bought a cute bible cover for it made from a vintage quilt. Of course, the fabric and pages had absorbed as much water as they could hold. I removed the cover, wrung it out, then squeezed all the water out of my bible...but it was ruined. Perhaps you have a bible that you've been reading from for years, full of notes, underlining, drawings even? I had this one for over 10 years....I could tell you what side of the page and where in the column familiar verses were. Ugh! What a loss! I searched for another one just like it, but no luck. I got it on a trip to Israel, so even more memories were wrapped up in it.
But then I remembered that my husband took a similar trip to Israel with the same leader....and sure enough! On his shelf of Bibles was the same exact edition! Minus all my notations, of course.
I've been using this new one for the past few years, but my antique quilt cover laid in pieces. A gentle hand washing and a visit with Mr. SeamRipper and Mrs. FabricStash today were just what it needed. Of course, I modified the original design a bit, adding in some repro feedsack fabrics, a couple pockets, and a ric-rac bookmark. A special vintage button tops it all off.
I'm so excited to have this last bit of that 2008 drama behind me! Hooray for new beginnings! I can't wait to start the new year with my "new" bible!
Many blessings to you in the New Year!